Ancient temples, rock-cut tombs and Roman villas with elaborate mosaic floors all reflect the highly sophisticated societies which inhabited Pafos in the past. With a history dating back more than eight thousand years, the town offers a wealth of treasures to the visitor.
The Ottoman baths of Paphos are also known as Hammam, Loutra and Turkish baths. They are from the Medieval times. It is a stone built structure, with a stone vault. It is a typical bath of the Ottoman era and consists of three main rooms: a reception area, then a second room where visitors used to undress and finally the main baths.
The famous ‘Tombs of the Kings’ form part of the Archaeological Park of Kato Pafos (Paphos) – one of the most important archaeological sites of Cyprus that has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980.
This ruined medieval fortress, situated near the harbour, was built by the Lusignans at the beginning of the 13th century on the site of a previous Byzantine castle. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1222.
A sanctuary dedicated to the god of medicine, Asklepeios, it was also used as a healing centre. It is situated to the south of the Odeon and southwest of the Agora. It is a large building complex with several rooms and a square courtyard.
The Agora, situated in front of the Odeon, dates from the middle of the 2nd century A.D. It formed a square courtyard measuring 95 x 95 metres, with colonnaded porticos. The columns of the colonnade have Corinthian capitals but no flutes.