Ancient temples, rock-cut tombs and Roman villas with elaborate mosaic floors all reflect the highly sophisticated societies which inhabited Pafos in the past. With a history dating back more than eight thousand years, the town offers a wealth of treasures to the visitor.
The famous ‘Tombs of the Kings’ form part of the Archaeological Park of Kato Pafos (Paphos) – one of the most important archaeological sites of Cyprus that has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980.
Faros is a sandy beach with an excellent view situated at the west end of Pafos. Access to the beach is easy and well sign-posted. The quality of the water is tested frequently and the beach is cleaned every day.
One of the best sandy beaches in the region, Coral Bay is located near Pegeia and easily reached by car, motorbike, bicycle and bus. It offers water sports and sun bed and umbrella hire. There is accommodation nearby, while lifeguards are on duty with lifesaving equipment during the swimming season.
Alykes is a sandy beach situated near the hotels in the tourist area of Kato Pafos, off Poseidonos Avenue. There is a bus stop nearby and access to the beach is easy and well sign-posted. The quality of the water is tested frequently and the beach is cleaned every day.
Saint Neophytos monastery lies 10 km outside Pafos, near Tala village. Saint Neophytos was the founder of the monastery in 1159. He lived there and died in 1219 at the age of 85. The main church of the monastery was built around 200 years after his death and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The Panagia Chrysopolitissa church was built in the 13th century over the ruins of the largest Early Byzantine basilica on the island. Within the compound is St. Paul’s Pillar. Originally the church was seven–aisled, but later was reduced to five aisles. The floor was covered with colourful mosaics, some of which are still preserved.
The abandoned monastery of Panagia tou Sinti is found on the banks of the Xeros River in Pentalia, and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary (Panagia) of Sinti.
This ruined medieval fortress, situated near the harbour, was built by the Lusignans at the beginning of the 13th century on the site of a previous Byzantine castle. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1222.